Monday, May 28, 2007

Thinkpad wireless connection problems

My Sr. Pastor has a Thinkpad X41 tablet that has recently developed wireless connection issues when connecting to a WPA secured network. He has no problems connecting to open free networks such as our guest network and the networks at places such as Panera's etc. I have tried just about everything that I can think of trying and was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems. We are primarily a Dell shop so most of my experience is with their laptops but the other Thinkpads we have are not having any problems. I have updated the driver, tried a rollback system restore to a time when he had no problems connecting, I even reinstalled the network drivers. The secured wireless network is identified and it says it is connected but it never does authenticate and issue an IP address.

Any ideas about what else to try to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Mike

5 comments:

gccjason said...

We had a goofy Thinkpad wireless issue a while back. Switching to let windows manage the wifi stuff helped for us.

Mike Mayfield said...

Thanks, Jason. When I switch to letting windows manage the wifi stuff it says that the form of encryption is not supported. I am using WPA and it was working a month ago. Any other suggestions?

Mike Mayfield said...

Guess it was just a fluke last week because I reinstalled the drivers again today and everything works wonderfully. Guess it was just one of those things.

Unknown said...

I had a very similar situation with my T43 last week. Had to remove & reinstall the drives AND remove & reinstall "Access Connections." Then I was able to go back to using the ThinkPad utilities rather than the windows wireless management. (Isn't it interesting how something can work perfectly for a year or so, then suddenly, for no apparent reason, break?)

David S. said...

I have a brand-spanking-new T60 that won't see any wireless networks sometimes. Rebooting will sometimes help and sometimes not. It stops seeing all networks, not just the encrypted ones. I'm using the ThinkPad Access Connections.

I need to try switching to Windows and maybe reinstalling ThinkPad AC, but if neither of those work I'm going to have to call tech support. I've been really happy with the Lenovo stuff we've gotten recently, this is the only major problem, but it's frustrating!

I'm glad you got your problem resolved, Mike!